FROM THE SUD.
The Compañía Argentina del Sud, or ARGENSUD as we all know it, was founded on November 1, 1919, taking as its base of operations the trading houses of the Müller brothers, Stubenrauch y cia. and Federico Brohme.
In our town, the company was established in the premises that the Müller brothers had on the premises where the municipal gymnasium is located today.
Photography taken from the old San Julian pier in the decade from 20.
On February 9, 1939,
The local of the argensud catches fire and the company is forced to move to another building to establish a new sales location.
It is then that La Argensud buys the building from Watson and Gordoniz
Photograph of the 1939 fire
Argensud was a General Branches, Exporter and Importer company, in its premises it had sections of hardware, store, fashion, warehouse, bazaar, perfumery, shoe store, you could even buy cars of the time.
In this photo we can see all the staff who worked in the premises pose, during the celebration of the 25 years of the company in 1944
Late in the second half of the 20th century, a process of sustained deterioration of livestock activity began, caused by a series of factors, including the desertification of the lands as a result of the inadequate use of the fields (wintering and summer), due to the difficulties of access to water and the lack of available technologies, To this was added the significant drop in international prices and the commercial appearance of synthetics; which drastically modified the profitability of the sector.
That is why many of the established and consolidated companies in our town left or ceased to exist.
The anonymous, Argensud, the Frigorifico, are examples of this.
Argensud closed its doors in the late 1970s.